7:31 PM

Girlfriends

I went with my husband a few nights back to see the "Sex In The City" movie. I realized while sitting in the theatre that we were surrounded by groups of varying sizes of women and their friends. I also realized that I really miss not having a group of my own.

I have never been one to have a pack of friends, but I've always had at least one friend who was always there through thick and thin. You know the kind, someone you call regardless of time. Someone who always has your back and is there through the good and the back.

I had a friend who was that person for over 25 years. I suppose I should rephrase that to say I thought she was that person. In hindsight, I should of cued in that she wasn't really hitting all the friendship high spots. But when you've put all your friendship eggs into one basket, you tend to overlook things that maybe you wouldn't have if you had other options. I had the proverbial rude awakening one day and along with it discovered I no longer had any close friends.

I stress the word "close", because I have friends. People I talk with, got to lunch with on occasion, even take a long weekend here and there. But I've lost my wing woman and no squadron in sight. I miss having someone you can share every thought with without recourse. Do crazy things with, share the good times and bad times, and laugh about it 5 years later when you cross the topic again. I'm fortunate in the fact that my husband is truly my best friend as well, but sometimes what I want to do is gripe about him...in a loving way, and I can't really do that with him.

I'm trying to find another wing woman. Hopefully I'll find a more than one. I know that I have challenges ahead of me and having someone to help me balance the load would make life easier. Hopefully I will be able to do the same for them.

So if you have a wing woman or a wing man, cherish them and let them know how much they mean to you.

1 comments:

ShellyD said...

I'll be your virtual wing woman. I know exactly what you mean. If it wasn't for that hubby of mine - I'd be ---- alone. :))

Thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts.